Some ideas. (which still require approval of the core developers):

* Improve database backend base API and related features(including
introspection feature used by inspectdb), so that it is less complicated to
add in the future support the specific features of some backends. eg
multiple database schemas (common used in Oracle and PostgreSQL) and/or
Oracle synonym tables

* port Django i18n and i10 and related translation features to use
Babel: http://babel.pocoo.org/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/cbb457c7-66cb-4370-99de-c9cfcd2a5622%40googlegroups.com.