If we dropped 1.8 deprecated features in 2.0, then it would require
libraries to add conditional code to support both the old and new ways of
doing something. The idea is that a third-party app wouldn't need to make
any updates (except those needed to accommodate for backwards incompatible
changes) until the next LTS release.

The idea is *not* to suggest apps should try to support two LTS releases.
Making that easy on Django's end would require keeping deprecated features
in Django significantly longer than this proposal. See Carl's post in the
thread where we discussed the deprecation cycle changes:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/qCjfOu-FPxQ/hccAcVChHMkJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/acf37866-7a8c-4077-a399-0627acddd885%40googlegroups.com.