I agree with Shai. There are certain companies that have bought extended
support for WinXP/IE8 for extravagant amounts of money. That means
Microsoft is taking on the burden of support (security) for those systems.
They are EOL as far as we're concerned. We shouldn't intentionally cripple
support unless there is a reason to do so though. For example, unless we
need jQuery2 for some purpose, maybe it's best we just leave it at it's
current version for the moment. As for font/svg icons - alt text is fine
for an old browser out of support.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4c5a22ab-ee67-46d3-a82b-18f6ebea3c39%40googlegroups.com.