I think this is a bit of a misnomer - if we include a jQuery without IE8
support we will start dropping IE8 from the CSS, our own custom javascript,
new jquery features, community plugins will drop it etc etc. For 1.9 itself
it may simply be a case of swapping in a different jQuery version, but it
won't stay that way for long.

On 20 August 2015 at 00:49, Josh Smeaton <josh.smea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >My own opinion is that if you really need IE8 support, it's not difficult
> to write a custom template and conditionally include the old jQuery version.
>
> Good point. It's easy enough for users to support IE8 themselves if they
> need to. Consider me a +1 then.
>
> On Thursday, 20 August 2015 00:34:01 UTC+10, Tim Graham wrote:
>>
>> To see what's required, I made a pull request for jQuery 2 here:
>> https://github.com/django/django/pull/5155
>>
>> The selenium and JavaScript tests pass without any modifications to the
>> admin's JavaScript.
>>
>> My own opinion is that if you really need IE8 support, it's not difficult
>> to write a custom template and conditionally include the old jQuery
>> version. If we view the admin as an internal management tool for "staff
>> users", I think it's reasonable for organizations to know what browsers
>> their staff uses and be able to make these determinations.
>>
>> For me, moving to jQuery 2 is a bit like the Python 2/3 debate. As long
>> as we have to support Python 2/jQuery 1.x we are somewhat restricted in
>> reaping the benefits of Python 3/jQuery 2. I'm not sure there are any new
>> features in jQuery 2 at this time - the main benefit seems to be smaller
>> size. Of course, if we start using new features of jQuery 2 at some point,
>> we might break the solution proposed in the previous paragraph, but that
>> seems okay to me since the point is that we shouldn't spend much time
>> caring for unsupported browsers.
>>
>> If we don't want to use end-of-life dates for deciding a browser support
>> policy, then what alternative metric should we use?
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 5:59:21 AM UTC-4, sdcooke wrote:
>>>
>>> I meant jQuery 2 and 1.11 are API compatible - you're right though, the
>>> latest versions of jQuery might have deprecated things that are currently
>>> used in Django.

>>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/975c070b-8c0f-4af8-a207-84acf828547a%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/975c070b-8c0f-4af8-a207-84acf828547a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAMwjO1HBBC2JQF%2BqcQ6Rmt912E8Zr6NdZ%3DXr68bn6O0mpcFTaw%40mail.gmail.com.
      • ... Tim Graham
        • ... Marc Tamlyn
          • ... Shai Berger
          • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... Sam Cooke
          • ... elky
          • ... Sam Cooke
          • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Marc Tamlyn
          • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... Marc Tamlyn
          • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... Tom Christie
          • ... Aymeric Augustin
          • ... Collin Anderson
          • ... Tim Graham
        • ... Markus Holtermann
  • ... 'Hugo Osvaldo Barrera' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
    • ... elky