I'm not a lawyer, but I care about licensing.

The MIT License would allow you to relicense it, but you must keep the
original copyrights in tact. (From license: Redistribution and use in
source and binary forms, *with or without modification*, are permitted...)

It does have a list of "buts" too.

You must keep the copyright and disclaimer in the source files you used,
and your documentation must also do that.

Typical answer is to add a header above it in the source and then state
that all modifications from the original are AGPL... Original code is:
leave theirs alone.

You typically add "Portions of the code are based on Django Rest Framework
which is *paste copyright and lack of warranty etc disclaimer*"
 to your documentation.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Carl Meyer <c...@meyerloewen.net> wrote:

> Hi Andrey,
>
> On 01/07/2016 04:23 PM, Andrey Antukh wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 12:42 AM, Florian Apolloner
> > The DRFv2 (as DRFv3) as far as I know is licensed using MIT permissive
> > license that does not impide take the source and re-license it under
> > other license.
> >
> > taiga.io <http://taiga.io> initially have started using the DRF just
> > like a dependency but over time the dev-team found the needs monky-patch
> > many and many parts of it... Later, the dev-team have decided just
> > include it in the code base and remove useless (for taiga) code and add
> > additional features.
> >
> > Much of code/improvements is contributed back to the DRF (v2), other as
> > third party packages and some other is no, because the approaches are
> > diverged and the changes are just to much opinionated/coupled to the
> > taiga usage.
> >
> > I hope I have solved your question.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me the problem is not the use of the
> code (which the license does allow), but the re-licensing and the lack
> of the original DRF license in your codebase.
>
> You are allowed to use the code and re-distribute it, but AFAIK you are
> not allowed to re-license it unless you are the copyright owner. And the
> terms of the DRF license do require that the DRF license text be
> preserved along with any redistribution of the DRF code, which (as far
> as I can see) Taiga currently doesn't do.
>
> So if I'm right (which I may well not be), I think the issue is easily
> resolved by including the original DRF license text in your base/api/
> directory, and clarifying that that license (not the AGPL) is the
> license that applies to all code taken from DRF.
>
> Carl

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/568F0D05.3050901%40meyerloewen.net
> .

Joe Tennies