On 06/24/2016 10:55 AM, Tim Graham wrote:
> A few contributors indicated in #django-dev that it could be beneficial
> to change our commit message format to match git's guidelines of present
> tense (instead of our current past tense convention) as it would be one
> less thing to remember when contributing to Django. Besides consistency
> with the current history, do you feel there are any benefits in
> continuing to use past tense instead of present tense?

I was one of those contributors in #django-dev. Not only are past-tense
commit messages non-standard for git (meaning they are one more thing a
new contributor is likely to trip over), I also personally find them
harder to write and make clear. Sometimes in a commit message you need
to reference past (pre-commit) behavior and make it clear how the commit
changes that behavior. I occasionally find that harder to do clearly
when the entire commit message is supposed to worded in the past tense.

So I find all the advantages (except for consistency with past history)
in favor of switching to the imperative mood.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/576D6702.3080501%40oddbird.net.