On 06/24/2016 12:15 PM, Jon Dufresne wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net
> <mailto:c...@oddbird.net>> wrote:
>
>     To be clear, the recommended git style is not present tense, it is
>     imperative mood. So it should _not_ be "Fixes #12345 -- Regulates the
>     frobnicator", it should be "Fix #12345 -- Regulate the frobnicator."
>

> Do you have a link to an authoritative source stating this as the
> recommended style or is it just common knowledge?
>
> I'm not arguing against the proposal (in fact, I agree with it), I'm
> just curious if there is documentation to support one style over the other.

The style that is most commonly recommended is described in the most
detail (with reasoning) in these blog posts:

http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html
http://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/

That same style is recommended in the Git Book in
https://git-scm.com/book/ch5-2.html

It is "endorsed" by git itself in that git uses the imperative mood when
it generates a commit message (e.g. for a merge) -- it generates "Merge
branch foo" not "Merges branch foo" or "Merged branch foo."

Also the git project's own commit messages use this style.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/576D7AB0.3040502%40oddbird.net.