Op 26-06-16 om 05:31 schreef Kevin Christopher Henry:
If anyone's put off by the hectoring tone of the imperative mood, it
might be better to think of it as the indicative mood. That is:

(This will) "add password validation to prevent the usage of...".

rather than

(You must) "add password validation to prevent the usage of..."!

"It might be better to think of it as...": it is exactly this extra thinkwork that everyone reading the messages has to do. We write it once and read it many times: what should we optimize for? In our source code, the answer is clearly that you should optimize for readability.
Why is it suddenly different for commit messages?

Git will probably be replaced by an even better tool in 5 years' time (just like svn before that and cvs before): will we go back to the original proper English then?

In English they're usually expressed the same way, but not so in other
languages. Anecdotally, I saw someone comment that in Portuguese the two
are different and that the indicative, but not the imperative, would
make sense for a commit message. Reinout, I'm curious if that
distinction would make a difference in your native language?

In Dutch, the imperative and indicative are different.
But that would be better solved by using the indicative also in English, right?

- "Adds password validation to prevent..."

The changelog will now look just like installation instructions:

- Install django using `pip install django`.

- Add a database.

- Run `python manage.py ....`

Reinout

--