Type hinting can be done in python 3.x by depending on the typing module
(or inlining it). Type hinting for instance/class attributes will have a
much nicer syntax in python 3.6 only (PEP 526)

Best,
   D.

On 7 January 2017 at 03:03, Tim Graham <timogra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if matters to anyone, but I guess as long as we support
> Python 3.4 we can't do the type hinting project (PEP 484) since that's new
> in 3.5?
>

> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:08:07 PM UTC-5, Tim Graham wrote:
>>
>> Tom, I'm not following how Python 3.4 support in Django 2.0 will benefit
>> you if you want to stick to LTS versions of Django? I think either you or I
>> have a misunderstanding somewhere. I'll try to recap:
>>
>> Django 1.11 is the next LTS. It's supported until April 2020 and supports
>> Python 3.4. The next LTS, Django 2.2 is due in April 2019, after the Python
>> 3.4 end of life in March 2019 -- so I don't think we can justify supporting
>> Python 3.4 in that LTS unless we decide to base our supported Python policy
>> on CentOS rather than Python's own support lifecycle. Florian and Daniele
>> are proposing supporting Python 3.4 for Django 2.0 and/or 2.1. Those
>> versions have security support ending in April 2019 and December 2019,
>> respectively. If you want to use Python 3.4 and maximize the time you can
>> receive Django security updates, stick with 1.11 LTS (April 2020).
>>
>> Look at these tables if you're in doubt:
>> https://www.djangoproject.com/download/#supported-versions
>> https://docs.python.org/devguide/#status-of-python-branches
>>
>> On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 11:22:17 AM UTC-5, Tom Evans wrote:

>>> I know supporting endless versions of python is not desirable, but
>>> please bear in mind that some of us are in situations where what the
>>> latest release of Ubunutu is not really relevant.
>>>
>>> Our organisation uses CentOS 6, which is not EOL until the end of
>>> 2020. In CentOS 6, the stock version of python is python 2.6; we go
>>> through special measures (EPEL) to get that up to python 2.7. If we
>>> wanted to make the move to Python 3, we'd be talking about Python 3.4,
>>> again through EPEL.
>>>
>>> We have an infrastructure team responsible for provisioning servers,
>>> and it is on their schedule that OS upgrades occur - it is not easy
>>> for us as developers to argue that this team should spend significant
>>> resource to upgrade to a later OS version or to roll custom python
>>> RPMs.
>>>
>>> Updating all of our codebase to Python 3 is going to be a pain for us,
>>> it is hard to argue a business need with "Everything stays exactly the
>>> same but is slightly more secure and easier to maintain".
>>> Realistically, when we move to Python 3, it will be because the
>>> supported Django LTS requires it. If we also have to jump through lots
>>> of hoops to get the very latest Python 3 release, it won't make it
>>> easier to argue, it will mean we are more likely to postpone it and
>>> keep using old django versions, particularly on internal intranet
>>> sites.
>>>
>>> If there is a way that Python 3.4 support can be maintained without
>>> significant detriment or penalty, this would be greatly appreciated by
>>> those of us running more conservative enterprise distributions.

> [...]

Daniel F. Moisset - UK Country Manager
www.machinalis.com
Skype: @dmoisset

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CALuYSZW%3DYRFZTowKVaObksVMbr8-GmKOUP1oVn-cUmhqo%2BjN%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.
    • R... Matthias welp
      • ... Tim Graham
        • ... Florian Apolloner
          • ... Tim Graham
            • ... Asif Saifuddin
              • ... Florian Apolloner
              • ... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... Tim Graham
              • ... Tim Graham
              • ... James Bennett
              • ... Daniel Moisset