On Monday 26 June 2017 20:25:58 Curtis Maloney wrote:
> On 26/06/17 20:21, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 June 2017 08:14:02 Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> >
> > I see the point for the number of useless files. But in every
> > release, settings.py has been trimmed more and more to the point
> > that it's next to useless. I'm wondering about the upside of that.
> > Cause I'm seeing plenty of downsides for both new and veteran
> > users.
>
> Can't say I agree it's useless... I find I need very little to modify
> the start project template to get under way... especially now that
> admin is in by default.

Right. Sane defaults are a good thing. Doesn't address why trimming it down is
a good thing.

> > Not to mention the choice of what to remove. To keep STATIC_URL
> > (which I rarely change) but remove STATIC_ROOT (which is different
> > per project and sometimes even per install) is beyond me.
>
> Because STATIC_URL is useful always, whereas STATIC_ROOT typically
> only makes sense when you deploy...

But in doing so the educational part is removed. That there's a STATIC_URL and
a STATIC_ROOT
that need to be mapped by the webserver. The drawback of what is there now, is
that it works
and you have no clue why it doesn't once deployed, as you have had no reason to
click the link.

And since STATICFILES is suddenly one word, I've spent several minutes trying
to find out why
my static dir isn't picked up. Or why I can't connect to the database, because
it's 'USER' not
'USERNAME'.

Boiler plate is supposed to save you time in typing and looking up things and
it's in shear
contrast with this trimming fashion.
--
Melvyn Sopacua