It may be an obstacle but I believe it’s better than having them nuke their
base systems by accident by installing a package that conflicts with their
base system. This isn’t such a huge issue on MacOS but on Linux it is and
I’ve seen it happen a few times. Not to mention the issue of multiple
conflicting dependencies across projects - all in all it’s really not a
recommended and we should not look to make it easier IMO.

People have different setups and whatever works, works, but things like
pipenv are maturing rapidly and solve the convenience issue you describe. I
personally use virtualenvwrapper which is really simple to set up and
displays the current virtual environment in the prompt, and makes it really
easy to switch between them/create new ones.

Tom