There was a push to deprecated % formatting but too many people complained and that never happened.

While .format and g-strings are superior, % is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Too many people still use it (including myself sometimes).

On 1 Nov. 2018 08:14, Carlton Gibson <carlton.gib...@gmail.com> wrote:
We had a bit of a discussion of this on

Python 2 docs have got this re format():

> This method of string formatting is the new standard in Python 3, and should be preferred to the % formatting described in String Formatting Operations in new code.

But it's not there for Python 3 (​https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#str.format) so I'm not clear what we're meant to think.
(I had thought %-formatting deprecated...)

Anyone know?

Regardless, waiting a bit and moving straight to f-strings (as Simon suggests) seems sensible. (If we're convinced we do want to change.)