I see where you are coming from, but I'm not sure it will have the intended
effect. One of the great things about Django is that for the most part
database features work everywhere. If we split them out there will be more
innovation, sure, but we may loose the 'database transparency' we currently
have leading to inconsistencies.

It may also be harder to coordinate changes across databases that require
changes to core.

On your point about non-standard backends, maybe we should focus on making
it easier to add third party backends and standardize some of the
internals? We could treat the backend as external (i.e no special hacks for
them) but keep them in the Django package. If we make the interfaces a bit
more abstract it would be a lot easier for these backends to exist without
hacks perhaps.

As with everything, it's a trade off. I'm not sure there is a clear answer
or better solution for all cases than we currently have.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFNZOJN5r%3DcbmCDBbfPprTOgE0j%2BvPczbhi%3D0m6eH7vir%2BC5DQ%40mail.gmail.com.