Hi all.

There's PR to fix long-standing issue with HTTP-only URLs being generated
by the `ping_google` sitemaps command.

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23829
https://github.com/django/django/pull/10651

(The PR also allows specifying the domain, so you don't need contrib.sites
installed.)

The idea is to generate HTTPS URLs by default, having a flag to switch
(back) to HTTP if that's what you really need. (`--use_http`)

This though is a breaking change potentially: you'd need to add the new
flag to your deployment scripts, or wherever, to keep existing HTTP URLs
working.

Because of this Adam suggested putting it through the deprecation process:
keep the HTTP default and switch to HTTPS as the default later.

However, I can't see how we can offer the new preferred usage (default to
HTTPS without additional flags to the command) from day-one, allowing a
shim to fallback to the existing behaviour: the best we seem to be able to
do is emit a warning saying there'll be a breaking change in the future. If
that's the case I'd rather just bite the bullet on it: clearly state that
the new flag will be needed to keep using HTTP URLs in the v2.2 release
notes and move on.

Thoughts please. Thanks.

Carlton.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4188349d-a72a-4c2b-92d9-ee607c4c8b04%40googlegroups.com.