I’m exactly -1 on this, for exactly the reasons given.   ALL it takes for
you to implement this is to subclass TemplateView and override
render_to_response(). That’s it.

This was Tom’s point in his review four years ago: the ease of directly
implementing it means the added API surface area isn’t worth it.