A bit delayed but, I'd support a Redis in core. (I still periodically have
to go look up the difference between django-redis and django-redis-cache;
"Which one did I pick last time?" I think we could help folks out with the
first steps here.)

Aymeric's summary seems correct:

On Thursday, 20 June 2019 10:35:39 UTC+2, Aymeric Augustin wrote:

> To move this forwards, my suggestion would be to write a DEP, to flesh out
> the rationale for a built-in solution, and to focus on the breadth of
> functionality the built-in backend would support. My preference would be a
> basic set of features, like the other cache backends. I believe that's what
> django-redis-cache does. This will leave room for third-party packages like
> django-redis to provide more advanced features. To give a concrete example,
> like other cache and database backends, a redis backend could provide
> persistent connections but not implement a connection pool. Until now
> Django has left the management of connection pools to third-party packages.

To that I'd just add, maybe reaching out to the maintainers on django-redis
and django-redis-cache to see if they'd like to join in might be worth it.

I'd be happy to help review a preliminary draft for a DEP.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/933a18db-7bef-409d-97f7-5653e697a097%40googlegroups.com.
  • R... Dulmandakh Sukhbaatar
    • ... Josh Smeaton
      • ... 'Ivan Anishchuk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
        • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... 'Ivan Anishchuk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
            • ... Markus Holtermann
              • ... Josh Smeaton
    • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... Loïc Bistuer