> But I read Andrew's comment differently: it's maybe not the 60 characters,
> but some sort of "aggregation" we could be looking for. So maybe instead of
> "0026_remove_book_title_add_book_description" we could have
> "0026_book_add_remove" - especially when multiple fields were involved.

I feel an implementation for anything like this would be very complicated,
especially when factoring in RunPython, RunSQL, and custom operations. I
don't think it's worth the effort, considering that it's a best "first
guess" for the name, and developers can change them if they feel they
aren't descriptive (though the point of this change is that they often
don't).

> Alternatively, makemigrations could also generate multiple migrations (by
> default?) in order to obtain the goal of meaningful names? Have a parameter
> to force combining?

I don't think that's ideal because migrations are atomic (by default) on
databases that support atomic DDL. Splitting them for the sake of slightly
better automatic naming unnecessarily breaks this guarantee.

--
Adam