Hi all.

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) for 2023 has just been announced.
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2022/11/get-ready-for-google-summer-of-code-2023.html

Django has participated many times, and it's been a real boon. Recent
successes include:

* The django-stubs mypy plugin.
* The cross-db JSON field.
* The Redis cache backend.
* Per model-class (field instance) custom lookups
* Setup of the django-asv benchmarking project.
* ...

Application deadline for Orgs is February 7. I'll begin working on it after
the New Year.

Main bit is an ideas list for projects. The GSoC guide has a Writing a Good
Ideas List
section.

> Projects should take ~175 hours or ~350 hours for GSoC contributors to
complete.

i.e. "short" or "long" projects.
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list

I'm writing here *to solicit input on project ideas*.

I put "Technical Board?" in the subject because we're short a list of
project
ideas for the technical direction of Django going forward, and maybe
thinking
in terms of GSoC could be a way of bootstrapping that. The "?" is because
that's not
meant to exclude other input.

Here's last year's list for reference:
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2022

- Some of those were done: benchmarking (but that could be built on) and
per-instance
  field lookups.

- Rate-limiting is a no-go I think: we couldn't come to any decent
agreement on scope,
  so it's better to live as a third-party package.

- I've tried to include folks from the wider ecosystem in previous years.
Two years ago
  we had both Wagtail and django-stubs projects. Wagtail then (last year)
  applied in their own right, to great success. I'd like to offer that help
  again to e.g. Jazzband or other established projects, assuming maintainers
  feel they have the capacity to mentor. (It's a minor increment to my
effort
  for a good return I think.)

No urgency but, can I ask you to put your grey cells into action? 🙂

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/194b43ff-98cf-4736-8360-3d79e9b62402n%40googlegroups.com.
  • ... Carlton Gibson
    • ... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Matthew Pava
          • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
            • ... James Bennett
              • ... Shai Berger
                • ... Tom Carrick
    • ... 'John Whitlock' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... 'st...@jigsawtech.co.uk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
        • ... Carlton Gibson