I used MacPorts to install jpeg (libjpeg), freetype, zlib, and then
Python Imaging Library.

When I validate, I get the "no PIL" error.

Error: One or more models did not validate:
imagetest.filetest: "image": To use ImageFields, you need to install
the Python Imaging Library. Get it at http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
.
imagetest.imagetest: "image": To use ImageFields, you need to install
the Python Imaging Library. Get it at http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
.

Any tips on where the problem might be?

(This is my nth attempt. I was using Fink to install libjpeg and zlib,
but when I installed PIL from source, it could never find libjpeg or
zlib... :-(   Any tips or links on installing on osx 10.4 greatly
appreciated.)

Thanks,
--
Austin