On May 20, 3:42 pm, Austin Govella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It was a PYTHONPATH problem. I fixed it using this tutorial:
> *http://emmby.blogspot.com/2008/05/installing-python-pil-on-mac-os-x-1...
>
> (I'm using python 2.4, so I adjusted the path accordingly.)
>
> Everything validates. Server runs with no ImageField errors, but now
> we get a new ImportError: "No module named ImageFile".
>
> That error corresponds to the closed ticket, #7019:
>  http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7019
>
> Mr. Treddinick writes MacPorts doesn't correctly install PIL on os x
> 10.4:
>
> "This isn't a problem with Django. It's a problem with the way PIL is
> installed and should be reported to the packager for fixing. PIL
> should be installed so that the PIL directory is part of the Python
> module search path (normally done via a PIL.pth file) and thus import
> ImageFile must work; otherwise it's installed incorrectly."
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this? What path should I add/edit where?
>
> (And as an aside, I read somewhere that the proper way to import Image
> and ImageFile is to say "from PIL import ImageFile". This works, but
> "import ImageFile" doesn't. Is Django importing incorrectly?)
>
> Many thanks for any tips,

I could be wrong, but the way I have understood things is that initial
PIL people put stuff at global module level. After a while they
possibly realised their evil ways and pushed things into a PIL
package. To maintain compatibility with older way they did things they
add a PIL.pth file containing 'PIL'.

In other words both:

  import Image

and:

  from PIL import Image

work.

I personally would suggest that any code which doesn't import it out
of PIL package should be changed as it is propagating bad practice.

Thus, if Django is saying just:

  import Image

then it probably should be changed.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.