It was a PYTHONPATH problem. I fixed it using this tutorial:
* http://emmby.blogspot.com/2008/05/installing-python-pil-on-mac-os-x-1052.html

(I'm using python 2.4, so I adjusted the path accordingly.)

Everything validates. Server runs with no ImageField errors, but now
we get a new ImportError: "No module named ImageFile".

That error corresponds to the closed ticket, #7019:
 http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7019

Mr. Treddinick writes MacPorts doesn't correctly install PIL on os x
10.4:

"This isn't a problem with Django. It's a problem with the way PIL is
installed and should be reported to the packager for fixing. PIL
should be installed so that the PIL directory is part of the Python
module search path (normally done via a PIL.pth file) and thus import
ImageFile must work; otherwise it's installed incorrectly."

Does anyone know how to fix this? What path should I add/edit where?

(And as an aside, I read somewhere that the proper way to import Image
and ImageFile is to say "from PIL import ImageFile". This works, but
"import ImageFile" doesn't. Is Django importing incorrectly?)

Many thanks for any tips,
--
Austin Govella