That is the approach I took and how I resolved the original problem
with the 404. It led me to find that "AllowEncodedSlashes On" in
Apache is needed for encoded slashes to be allowed in the pathname
information following the filename.

The problem now is that

http%3A%2F%2F prints http:/ in my template,

http%3A%2F also prints out as http:/

The second encoded forward slash is being omitted.

http%3A%2F$2Fwww.wired.com%2F prints http:/www.wired.com/

http%3A%2F$2Fwww.wired.com%2F%2F also prints http:/www.wired.com/

Thanks for looking at this.