Steven M Jones wrote:

> Some of your subdomains may send infrequently, and you may not know what
> all of them are until end of month/quarter. Depending on what's
> happening with the parent domain, this odd-looking policy might be your
> better option for the interim.

Certainly, but that's also true for independent systems that are sending only
infrequently from the parent domain too. I can see the general point (that a
mechanism with a narrow, defined scope might be a useful step in a staged
implementation), but am not yet convinced that there are real world
technical/security situations where this makes sense. In general, you're either:

- implementing in haste because you've detected serious abuse, in which case
sp=none simply hands your adversary an enormous entry; or

- implementing at a more deliberate pace, in which case infrequently-sending
sources can be mapped properly.

> And second, sometimes you can only do what you can convince the customer
> to accept. I've had the "business decision maker" refuse to block ~1
> million fraudulent messages per day because up to 500 legit messages
> (out of more than 50,000) per day would also be blocked due to
> forwarding. And that was their decision to make, since it was a business
> decision.
>
> So I'm not saying it's a great choice, but in some cases it may be what
> gets you the next step forward.

Sure, poorly-informed "business decisions" (or well-informed business decisions
using different risk perspectives) aren't going away any time soon, we all need
to make a living. I was looking specifically for technical/security situations
where sp=none made sense, rather than seeking to argue for the removal of the
option.

- Roland