On 3/14/2018 5:37 PM, Brandon Long wrote:

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:44 PM Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net

    If a domain publishes a "p=reject/quarantine" (restrictive policy),
    the published intent and expectation is to reject or quarantine
    failures.   If the receiver wishes to further relax how it handles
    failures, that would be a specific local policy, not "general policy."
       Overall, the protocol intent is to Reject/Quarantine.

    The ARC question is how does ARC change this existing
    "psuedo-standard" protocol logic?

    I prefer an explicit DMARC extended tag (or a author domain ARC seal)
    that publishes the domain intent to use ARC to relax "some"
    p=reject/quarantine failure in some fashion which is not defined at
    the moment.  The preference is to remove/reduce receiver ambiguity of
    what is to be expected when DKIM/DMARC is augmented with the ARC.

I still object to this concept on the same basis as the last two times
we had this discussion.

Brandon

Brandon,

Quite possible you haven't been clear in your DKIM Policy Modeling engineering reasoning.

The concept has been written across multiple RFCs since DKIM Policy Modeling architecture, including SPF.

If a domain publishes a DNS-based Public Record policy, you SHOULD honor its wishes as defined by the protocol recommendations.

You can do what you please with Local policy, you can even prepare your product in the market place (if any) to behave as you want. Other implementations can do the same product designs that follow closely with the specifications. That is what the system cooperatively competitive. Both SPF and DKIM POLICY docs have been very clear a,long these lines and its the #1 reason why we are still here after 10+ years trying to resolve same original "indirect" rejection issues, are we not? First it was SSP, then it was ASDP and now its these issues with DMARC.

So if you backing off and are advocating that receivers should ignore or add a "Don't really Mean it" rejection semantic regarding Hard Fail Policies, with SPF or DMARC, then you need to change the specifications and make it more clear in the new specs.

But I suspect a top marketing, security interest, the highest payoff, will continue to be to seek and support hard deterministic protocols. That doesn't stop us from working on new stuff that deal with the fuzzy non-deterministic classification decisions. We add some learning to it if you want. Just make it very clear in your DKIM ARC augmentation what you want. If you want ARC to change how DMARC words, then you have to say so in your specs. You just can't assume people will blindly ignore what is already in place.

Thanks

--
HLS