On 7/11/18 5:15 PM, Brandon Long wrote:
DKIM-Signatures are also sometimes removed from messages (mailing lists often do this), and there are also MTAs which incorrectly make assumptions about how DKIM-Signature failure means (the RFC says a failed DKIM-Signature should be treated as if it's not there, but that's not what we're seeing in practice).  Earlier instances of the AMS are expected to fail if the message content is changed and for that to be fine.

We did spend a bunch of time, maybe before it even came to the IETF, exploring whether we could do this without having a separate set of header fields, and we decided no.

So essentially we're creating a bunch of header bloat (creating duplicate header fields with different names where that could be avoided) because there are some MTAs that did not follow the specifications before. That makes me unhappy, but what matters here is not the behavior of all MTAs, it's the behavior of MTAs implementing ARC (that include instance number tag/value). If there's an MTA in the middle that deletes DKIM-Signature, it's not implementing ARC and the chain is broken.

Small reminiscence (feel free to ignore this): Back when we were merging DomainKeys and IIM to create DKIM, one of the design decisions was whether to publish the public key in DNS (ala DomainKeys) or to include it in the signature header field and put a fingerprint in DNS (ala IIM). The decision was made when a large mail service provider calculated how much more storage they would have to buy in the latter case (because of the larger header field). While that was ~14 years ago and storage is cheaper now, we're talking about a lot more space than just a public key.

-Jim