> On Apr 6, 2024, at 1:40 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>
> It appears that Scott Kitterman  <skl...@kitterman.com> said:
>> I hear you.  Your operational issue is my system working as designed.  DMARC
>> works on top of SPF, it doesn't change it.
>>
>> Anything like this belongs in an operational guidance document, not in the
>> protocol description.  I have no problem describing the trade offs in an
>> appropriate document, but I don't think this is it.
>
> I agree.  "Don't do stupid stuff" goes in an A/S, not in the spec.
>
> I entirely believe people are confused about SPF, but they're confused
> about everything. A few days ago on the generally clueful NANOG list
> we had to explain to someone that rejecting mail if DKIM signatures
> don't verify is not a good idea.
>
> R's,
> John

I think clear statement and supporting text explaining clearly that SPF is no
longer the policy layer would be a good idea. While it might be slightly out of
scope, I have encountered people who think best practice is to enforce with
-ALL.

It’s not that it’s stupid to do that, it’s just that email auth is still kind
of obscure knowledge for some reason I don’t quite understand since it’s been a
while.