Alper,

6/9/2014 4:21 PM, Alper Yegin kirjoitti:
Jouni,

OK, let's go with the PMIP example….

Let's say there's an ongoing flow, Flow1, via MAG1 and LMA1.

You are talking about switching LMA2 with LMA1, while maintaining MAG1 and not
breaking Flow1 (i.e., retaining the same IP address), right?

Yes. (except that retaining the IP address depends on the use case)

Assuming LMA1 and LMA2 are not on the same IP subnet, then there'd need to be
some routing trick between the LMAs and the Internet, so that IP traffic is
steered towards LMA2 instead of LMA1. I presume this trick is outside the scope
of DMM. Correct?

Routing trick is probably needed, yes. If the current toolbox outside DMM is not adequeate, DMM could well define, for example, an extension to some popular IGP.

And, there needs to be context transfer between LMA1 and LMA2. Is that in scope
of DMM?

Context transfer is probably needed, yes. Whether that is in scope of DMM depends.. the context is typically rather system / vendor specific, I would lean towards context being outside DMM. If someone insists, defininig a set of "mandatory" information elements could do. However, the value of such document is debateable.

And there needs to be a tunnel update between MAG1 and LMAs.  That's in scope?

I would assume, in the example PMIP case, the current stuff there is, is not enough. So for IETF defined protocols such as PMIP there would potentially be enhancements required (or clarifying the use of existing mechanisms in a new use case).

….

If we take a step back and look at this… This probably deserves to be called "LMA-switch", or more
generically "IP anchor switch". Not really a mere "anchor re-selection".

Fine.

I wonder if this is proposed (perceived) as a "DMM solution", or something that
would co-exist with DMM solutions…

Good question. I rather see it myself as a transition solution to something more DMMish, so "co-existing" would suite better. Others may have different opinions.

- Jouni

Alper