At 09:01 PM 7/17/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Chris,
>
>We really don't give a damn about a fix, we just wanted Netwin to be aware of the 
>problem.  True, if it perpetuates in future versions, we might revolt...  But we can 
>either try 5.7c1 or (my preference), go back to the prior version which was working 
>just fine for us.
>
>Until debug logs can be provided (which could be a while because the
>   Channel closed s=11
>error has occurred only twice since upgrading to 5.7b1 and because my customer is 
>pressuring me to try 5.7c1 to see if that fixes this), here are my observations - for 
>what they are worth.


Very interesting, thanks.  I'm not sure if I can do anything useful till I 
see that next log, I can't think of any significant changes to that code
lately, I have a 'hunch' it's hitting some kind of odd response from upstream
but I can't quite see why it should stop pulling for more than a few minutes
at that point, although it may reset it's upto counter which might just about
be the cause.  Still I'm reluctant to make changes when I don't understand
the bug yet.  If you can live with that debugging setting and send me the log
next time you spot it that would be most great thanks.

re: debug log - no sorry there's no setting to get it to a seperate file.

Thanks. ChrisP.


>Check the code where the "s=11" comes from to see if the socket is getting 
>closed/reopened.  I checked the firewall because nothing was getting out or in from 
>the dead suck feed.  Since a
>   tellnews update_clear
>   tellnews exit
>followed by
>   /usr/local/dnews/dnews_start.sh
>immediately started a suck from the previously dead feed, the firewall wasn't the 
>problem - so the gauntlet from DNews to eth1 was impassible.
>
>The second time it happened, I did a
>   tcpdump -i eth1 -n | grep ip.ad.dr.es
>(where ip.ad.dr.es is the ip of the dead suck feed)
>and there were no packets.
>
>So I set loglvl to info and then ran a
>   tellnews updateone alt.os.linux.slackware 3
>and (shame on me I didn't save the log) the log indicated increasing timeouts in the 
>29000 range and higher, but the (still running) tcpdump STILL showed no packets - for 
>as long as I had patience to wait (about 2 minutes, probably).
>
>(Turns out that updateone may not have been a good idea <shrug>.)
>
>So I repeated the
>   update_clear
>   exit
>   dnews_start.sh
>and in less than 30 seconds I had a screenful of (still running) tcpdump output.
>
>While on the subject of logs and output, is it possible to redirect the debug output 
>to a file other than dnews.log?  I _REALLY_ would rather not garbage up days/weeks of 
>logs with debug output (even if only suck output) if it can be prevented!
>
>I want to take this opportunity to shout:
>   THERE IS NO BETTER NNTP PROGRAM THAN DNEWS!
>   THERE IS NO BETTER SUPPORT FOR ANY COMMERCIAL LINUX PROGRAM THAN AT NETWIN!
>   THANK YOU FOR BOTH OF THE ABOVE!
>
>But on a personal note, I gotta say, "I'm glad HE paid for it, not me!" <grin>.
>
>buckprivatemil


Reply via email to