Long story short, had a power cut. Not usually a headache but the rocket
scientist controller on duty didn't get the generator started before the UPS
batteries died. :-(

So I walk in to find the server powered down.

When I powered it back up, dnews spins up okay, all the configs are
intact...First problem, half my groups don't "exist" any more if I do a
'groups download' with a newsreader. Guessing active.dat got corrupted, I
nuked it and did a getgroups, merged in the text file I have of the groups
off the other server (I suck from two), and all the groups are now there.
But they're all empty!

Look in the spool directory, it's all there. 150+ Gb of pile files.

I tried a rebuild_history <yawn!>, but the posts still don't show up. I'm
thinking rebuild_history was a bad guess. :-)

What am I missing?

I was considering doing a rebuild_piles AND a rebuild_index AND a
rebuild_history. <triple yawn>. Can one say sledgehammer/walnut? Is there an
easier way.

What's all most likely corrupted/missing after a power failure? I doubt this
will be my last, need to fix this problem AND be prepared for the next
time...

Regards

Bob



Reply via email to