Would it be possible (or sensible) to have Dnews use different bucket sizes
for different piles?

Perhaps move the bucket size parameter out of dnews.conf and put it in
expire.conf?

Reason I ask - on a large server carrying binaries and text, obviously it's
necessary to have a fairly large spool, and fairly large buckets for the
binaries. Come "expire" time, killing the oldest 250Mb (or whatever)
bucket(s) off piles in the binary groups makes a lot of sense - your
binaries will expire "gradually" as new ones come in...

On a text group, however, nuking a 250Mb bucket kills a rather significant
number of posts, could be expiring months of posts at a time...

Reason I think maybe the parameter should be moved to expire.conf - even the
binaries aren't so clear cut. Some of the smaller binary groups could also
benefit from having a smaller bucket size...

I'm thinking along the lines of buckets like:

a.b.huge.stuff - 500Mb buckets
a.b.small.stuff - 100Mb buckets
text.stuff - 10Mb buckets

In other words, tuning it such that each bucket contains, say, 500 "items"
on average, rather than a specific amount of data...

Regards

Bob



Reply via email to