Am 01.03.2015 00:04 schrieb T.J. Duchene:
As for systemd having "tentacles", there is certainly truth to that, but then the same argument could be said of Python or Perl. Both are rooted
so far into "standard" distributions that it is hard to extract them.

As other members have already pointed out, this is not a fair comparison.

Ultimately, the whole problem revolves around the idea of packaging.
Personally, I've come to believe that the existing idea of package
management is more damaging to Linux than systemd itself. If the Debian
packaging system separated the actual init files from binary package
files, then majority of developers making Jesse packages that assume
systemd rather than System 5 would be non-issue.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. Packaging is, in the end, just a practical way to manage compiled software on your system. On the other hand, what a given software does, and how that software is tied to other software, is inherently independent from which package management system is being used. If software A needs software B because its developer decided to rely on software B, then it doesn't matter whether the downstream packager decides to put B as a dependency or not. However, if he doesn't, then software A most probably won't work as
intended, if it'll work at all.

Of course packaging, especially when automatic dependency resolution is
implemented, will introduce loads of possible decisions that can be made by downstream packagers, but this is a completely different story, let alone the so-called "tasks", which I admit having always skipped while using Debian: in
fact I wanted to decide by myself which were the "defaults" I needed.

That being said, the Grand Unifying Init System's attempt to hijack a large part of the free software ecosystem, by imposing itself as a hard dependency, is technically independent from downstream packaging decisions, even if it
does influence those decisions.

I guess that far from focusing on subjective topics, DeVuan is forking
DeBian itself right now, while encouraging objective and balanced
discussion, which is welcome and a pleasure to read.

Fair enough, Philip. Who am I to say it does not have entertainment
value?

Not only entertainment value: educational and *ethical* value as well.

As a person who has written C code and used Unixes for about 20+ years,
I see some technical benefit in systemd's approach.  Just because
systemd itself has design flaws does not mean the entire concept is bad. The fact that I come right out and say so, even if it just happens to go
against the majority sensibility is: with blunt honestly, not my
problem.

No one ever said that its entire concept is bad. Moreover, I think it is kind of useless to insist with this here, since Devuan is intentionally, consciously and rationally avoiding systemd, no matter what its technical merits are.

I'm not really looking for a debate on the topic, because in the grand
scheme of things my opinion does not amount to much, really.   Nor
should it.  You should always make up your own mind.

Of course.

If you'd rather not hear it, I can certainly go elsewhere or refrain
from posting, but I personally do not believe that Devuan needs "yes
men" (or yes-women).

Well, the decision is completely up to you. I am a guest on this list, and I'm a peaceful fellow, hence it is not my goal, nor my right, to send anyone away, whatever opinions they have. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, there are plenty of pro/anti systemd debates on the Web already, so it makes
no sense to replicate them here, a systemd-free project by definition.

This one seems to have been inspired by Microsoft's ancient anti-Linux
FUD marketing campaign - you know, the one with a long-proboscized
monster-penguin.

Not at all.  It is simply a comment on the collective nature of Linux.
Sometimes design by committee is not the best approach.  That's simply
life.  That I call Linux a "Linux is a mean-spirited, ugly camel with
the number of humps chosen by committee" but "endearing" at the same
time is nothing more than a recognition that it has flaws. There are
precisely zero perfect software projects in the world.  Having had this
much time in the field, I simply have no illusions about it is all, and
I feel free to say so.

Agreed, but one can find drawbacks in every approach, and again, it makes little sense to reiterate this here, since it is a well known factor which
can potentially affect just about every situation where humans interact.
Most of all, it doesn't seem to be a problem affecting Devuan very much.

I'm sorry if that bothers you, but it hardly seems a secret to me.

It doesn't bother me, I just find it pretty useless and redundant, and not much constructive: I guess we already know that "the Open Source community
is full of a**holes", etc. etc.

Have a great day, Philip! =)

Have a great day too, t.j.

Philip