On 03/01/2015 05:56 PM, Tor Myklebust wrote:

The perl-base package pre-depends on libc6 and dpkg.  And nothing else.
I was not referring to all the software that depends on them when using Debian/Devuan. I've never believed that they make good choice for a required component. Frankly, I've also believe that interpreted languages should never be used for anything other than a teaching tool. If you must use something like that, at least use something that supports JIT to native code.

You can write programs in Perl or Python that do not depend on any modules that are not installed in the base Perl and Python packages.
I never suggested otherwise. In fact, I went out of my way to say that the community attitude of overuse and the extensions specifically were the problem, not the core.

c) In both languages, modules are usually something of a "black art" and
notorious for being unreliable at unexpected times.

Are you claiming that perl's module system does not always work as expected? Or just that some perl modules are poorly-written?
My remarks about Perl stem from poor QA in many Perl modules, and issues with the community/CPAN.

In my experience, while you can generally expect things like the Perl core language to act reliably,you can't expect the same of the rest of the Perl ecosystem to do the same. The QA simply is not there. Not to mention that all of this can massively impact performance.

This reads like FUD to me. Yes, it's possible to write Perl modules. Like anything else, it's possible to do slipshod work. Why are you trying to paint this as a *bad* thing?
Just because my opinions may not be conventional, does not mean that I am "painting" anything.

Personally, I think you missed the crux of what I was trying to say about the piling one layer of interpreted software, one abstraction, on top of another. It hardly matters though. I said my piece. You're certainly welcome to read it however you like. I said what was on my mind, and you are free to make your own judgements. I'm not offended in any case. So you don't agree. Good for you! =) That means that you gave it some thought.

t.j.