On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 07:01:24AM -0500, Gravis wrote:

[cut]

> garbage collection is actually a compounding issue, meaning that while
> it may not be a problem for programs that are only active for a few
> minutes before terminating, it is a problem for programs that are high
> intensity or run indefinitely.  it's typical (just ask an admin) for
> internally developed server side Java business database applications
> to require they be restarted daily because the devs cant figure out
> why they are "running out" of memory and it's easier just to have it
> restarted.  if they were developing in perl, python or any other
> number of GC languages, it would still be an issue.  while it /can/ be
> used properly, garbage collection is more of a hassle than it's worth.

Hi Gravis,

I appreciate that, but I personally can't see how the problems of
garbage collection in Java are related with good or bad programming
practices, or with a supposedly terribly long chain of dependencies
required by Perl and Python modules somebody mourned about earlier in
the thread :) And I don't get how this relates to the development of
Devuan, after all...

Best

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]