Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> writes:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:57:19 +0300
> Mitt Green <mitt_gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

> :s/greybeards/experienced people having a clue/
>
> I'm not saying the following in anger. I'm simply saying it so we don't
> accidentally shoot ourselves in the foot...
>
> "Greybeards" and "neckbeards" are characterizations whose connotation
> is deliberately "people stuck in their ways, afraid of change, no
> longer relevant, no longer innovating." This has *especially* come to
> the forefront during the systemd foolishness.
>
> Additionally, "greybeards" and "neckbeards" pretty much literally mean
> "old people", and give credence to the belief that

[...]

If I may add my 0.02 kujambel[*] here: Just because someone sets a trap
for you doesn't mean you have to jump into it with both feet. Whatever
the discussion happened to be, common prejudices about "people with a
certain hair colour" were certainly not genuinlely related to it, IOW,
derogative allusions of this kind are meant to distract from the issue
under discussion in favour of "discussing" alleged character/
personality defects of the participiants, ideally provoking them to
become emotionally defensive so that the actual topic ends up being
buried by the noise made by people yelling at each other.

[*] German navy slang, ca. 1992, for "whatever the name of the foreign
currency of the day happens to be".