On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:23:22 -0500
Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> On 11/12/15 1:54 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:57:19 +0300
> > Mitt Green <mitt_gr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > "Greybeards" and "neckbeards" are characterizations whose
> > connotation is deliberately "people stuck in their ways, afraid of
> > change, no longer relevant, no longer innovating." This has
> > *especially* come to the forefront during the systemd foolishness.
> >
> > Additionally, "greybeards" and "neckbeards" pretty much literally
> > mean "old people", and give credence to the belief that old people
> > can't code, can't tech, should be put out to pasture. It's this
> > very belief that motivates organizations to refuse to hire those
> > over 50, regardless of past or current accomplishments, going so
> > far as to pay a premium to offshore rent-a-programmers rather than
> > snagging one of the glut of skilled over 50 technologists.
> >

> Hey... I resemble that remark.  I'm a greybeard and proud of it.  In
> my neck of the woods (networking) it's a mark of distinction, and a
> credential that's jealously guarded.  (I'm also 61, and just
> remember, 60 is the new 40.  Never had a problem getting hired - as I
> say, greybeard is a respected credential.)
>
> Miles Fidelman

OK, I understand that logic. So let me rephrase...

The words "greybeard" and "neckbeard" are used, by systemd fanboys, to
strawman the conversation away from monolithic entanglement, moving the
conversation to human age, thus shutting down arguments against
systemd. And in a great many cases, it's effective, as witnessed by the
ever increasing number of systemd dwobes using these words.

Proud or not, you don't want to assist the systemd marketeers in
shutting down discussion about systemd's architecture, do you?

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist