On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:12:39AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

[cut]

> Then there is the abomination GTK3 has become.  I guess this makes sense
> in light that GNOME developers are maintaining it and seem to have
> hinted that its use should be exclusively for GNOME.  Fine.
> Unfortunately, many projects that were based on GTK2 now face either
> moving to GTK3 and its poor UI or moving to another toolkit or simply
> ending development.  The update of Firefox from 45 esr to 52 esr shows
> just what a backwards leap GTK3 is.  Suddenly dragging a small icon to
> another tab results in the icon appearing about 10X normal size.  This
> is happening in Devuan and Salix so it's not a distribution or
> installation specific issue.

I have no particularly strong feelings against GNOME 3, the main
reason being that I have never user any Desktop Environment in a
serious way, and I am still happy with WMaker/xmonad. I am quite
disappointed by the way GNOME has been tightly knit with a large part
of Debian, but that story is mostly irrelevant to the discussion.

What could be relevant is that, as several people have already pointed
out, GNOME 3 is still available for platforms in which systemd is not
present (e.g., FreeBSD: https://www.freebsd.org/gnome/). The main
problem in having "that" GNOME 3 in Devuan is the availability of a
sufficient number (which I cannot quantify, but would probably be >1)
of maintainers who are willing to delve into the FreeBSD port, and
transform that huge thing into a viable set of deb packages which play
well with the stuff currently present in Devuan (ascii?
beowulf?). This is totally doable, if people really want GNOME 3 in
Devuan.

But again, keeping asking for something to happen does not increase
the probability that it will happen. Working to make it happen is the
safest way to avoid disappointment. As a matter of "completeness" and
"universality" I would like to have a de-systemd-ised GNOME 3 in
Devuan, but I lack the interest, the skill, the motivation, and the
time to work on that.

My2Cents

KatolaZ