On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:03:45 -0400, Steve wrote in message
<20170620000345.0e897...@mydesk.domain.cxm>:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 12:10:04 +0200
> Didier Kryn <k...@in2p3.fr> wrote:
>
> > > On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:55:40PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > >
> > > [cut]

> >      I'm allways surprised when people seem to find Gnome is
> > compelling. I never found it compelling. A dozen years ago I moved
> > to KDE, because Gnome was so ugly. Later I turned back to Gnome
> > when KDE went crazy; then Gnome-3 went mental also and I switched
> > to Gnome-2, and then Xfce4. My children told me recently the Linux
> > we have at home seems much simpler than those of some of their
> > friends. I'm not sure they consider this a compliment, but I'm
> > happy with it because simplicity is a quality for me and the
> > complexity of other DEs is neither usefull nor pleasant, just
> > exasperating.
>
> Above, Didier expresses his personal opinion on the compellingness of
> Gnome. I agree 100% with his personal opinion.
>
> What really amazes me is that, in this world of multiple excellent
> GOSFUIs (http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/gosfui.htm), Gnome3 is
> considered such a must-have that people discuss moving huge numbers of
> programmer-hours from stuff an OS really needs to an ongoing undoing
> of the systemdizing of Gnome3.
>
> First, Gnome3 is bizarre in that it's one of those interfaces that
> joins Unity and Windows 8 thru 10 in guessing what the user wants, and
> if that first guess isn't productive, well, let the user look at
> everything. Not productive for those with varied computer activities.
>
> Then there's Suckless Tools' dmenu program, which provides a 25+ wpm
> typist with the most productive imaginable program running interface.
> Dmenu is trivial to integrate with almost any GOSFUI.
>
> Then there's the wide variety of spectacular GOSFUIs that will suit
> anyone. The person wanting the standard Win9x interface like KDE3 and
> (basically) Gnome2 will love LXDE. The Unity lover will equally love
> Window maker, with equally big program icons,  but the ability to have
> more of them. I don't know how long Xfce will remain systemd
> independent, but as long as it does, it's a great replacment for
> Gnome2.
>
> If low memory, lean and mean is your thing, use twm, jwm, Openbox,
> IceWM, fvwm (which is as extensible as anyone could imaging),
> Windowmaker, and probably 10 other GOSFUIs are suitable.
>
> Tiled window managers aren't for everybody, but some tiled
> practitioners make their tiled interfaces walk and talk. Watch someone
> skilled in awesome, dwm, i3, Ratpoison, StumpWM, xmonad and the like,
> and the productivity will knock your socks off.
>
> With all these excellent GOSFUIs around, when someone speaks of paying
> allegience to systemd, either by running it or by constantly
> reengineering out Gnome3 dependencies to it, I just don't understand
> the priorities.
>
> SteveT

..those priorities can only make sense in some kinda warfare.
Systemd is either some kinda back-up for Tor etc people, or,
it is meant to defeat and possibly exterminate us Tor etc
people, we just don't know which way it is, now.
(Gnome-1.? as it was done in S.u.S.E.-5.2, was _wonderful_.)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: