On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 17:47:50 +0100, KatolaZ wrote in message
<20171021164750.gf4...@katolaz.homeunix.net>:

> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 06:31:50PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > ..did all this (except with aptitude), should I then go from 4 to
> > 615 upgradeable packages???
> >
> > ..I did the git clone dance first.
> > Does amprolla3 know that "Debian Jessie == Debian old-stable",
> > and that "Debian stable == Debian Stretch", and that
> > "Devuan Jessie != Debian Jessie", so we pick the right
> > "Debian Jessie == Debian old-stable" packages into our
> > /Merged/ tree and not the "Debian stable == Debian Stretch"???
> >
> > ..bottom line: Did I pick up Debian Stretch packages from amprolla3?
> > No worries, I'll do the aptitude upgrade dance only after we know
> > what's going on here. ;o)
> >

> I am not sure I understand what you mean, but you must use "jessie",
> "ascii", or "ceres" in your sources.list, and not "stable", "testing",
> "unstable", if that is your question.

..nope, I asked about amprolla3's understanding of these names.
Do we (Devuan) abandon the "stable", "testing" and "unstable" names?

..but I agree with your answer, did I miss anything here?:
root@d44:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# Devuan repositories
deb http://packages.devuan.org/merged jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://packages.devuan.org/merged jessie main contrib non-free

# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-stable-security.list
deb     http://packages.devuan.org/merged jessie-security main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://packages.devuan.org/merged jessie-security main contrib
non-free

# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-stable-updates.list
deb     http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged jessie-updates main
contrib non-free
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged jessie-updates main
contrib non-free

# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-stable-proposed-updates.list
deb     http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged jessie-proposed-updates main
contrib non-free deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged
jessie-proposed-updates main contrib non-free

# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-stable-backports.list
deb     http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged jessie-backports main
contrib non-free
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged jessie-backports main
contrib non-free

# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-experimental.list
#
deb     http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan experimental main contrib
non-free #
deb-src http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan experimental main contrib
non-free

# https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DevuanInstall
deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian
jessie main
deb-src
http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian
jessie main
deb
http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian
jessie main
deb-src
http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-builddeps-r14.0.0/debian
jessie main

> You probably get 615 packages to upgrade since ascii-upgrades was
> finally merged by amprolla3.

..ok, did something similar happen with the jessie-* ?
(jessie-security, jessie-updates, jessie-proposed-updates,
jessie-backports)

..or could it be my experimental lines?

> amprolla3 is functionally equivalent to the traditional amprolla. So
> if you specify "jessie", you will get Jessie packages, not Stretch
> ones.

..ok, so you must have adressed my 2nd question
on amprolla3's understanding of facts like
"Debian Jessie == Debian old-stable" and
"Debian stable == Debian Stretch", and
"Devuan Jessie != Debian Jessie" then. :o)

> If you are on Devuan "ascii", you will get Ascii packages. Those
> packages that have been forked by Devuan will come from Devuan, and
> those that have not been touched will come from Debian. As in the
> original amprolla.
>
> As usual, you should never mix debian and devuan repos. If you do mix
> them, you are on your own, and must not blame amprolla or devuan :)
>
> We have been testing amprolla3 for more than two months now, on dozens
> machines, and it has been working like a charm.

..ok, with jessie + jessie-* + experimental too?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: