On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:33:13 +0100
Harald Arnesen <har...@skogtun.org> wrote:

> Den 28.12.2017 01:51, skrev Steve Litt:
>
> > The one downfall of my method is if you absolutely, positively need
> > atomic backups: database files, for instance. You'd need to stop
> > work on the computer being backed up. In the case of my Daily Driver
> > Desktop, which contains 3,874,727 files, the entire backup takes
> > about 5 minutes, the last 1.5 minutes of which is the cp -al phase,
> > during which the computer being backed up can go an about its
> > business.
>
> Had you used btrfs instead, you could make a snapshot of your file
> system.

Hi Harald,

That's exactly my point. To do something better than my backup
solution, I would have needed to go with something less tested, with
less complete supporting software, and something I trust less than
ext4. I haven't had ext4 mess up on me in at least 6 years. Even ext2
and ext3 messed up very rarely, and you could usually fix them with an
fsck.

In other words, I prioritized the extreme amount of user testing of
ext4 over the obvious convenience of btrfs. My prioritization isn't
universal: In fact, I'm probably in the minority. But it's worked for
me.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive