On 29/12/17 13:57, Rick Moen wrote:
> One can also reasonably say that the ext2/ext3/ext4 codebase has
> benefited from more real-world testing than any other *ix fileystem code
> in history.  (ext4 departs significantly more from ext3 than the latter
> did from ext2, as detailed here:
> https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Ext4_Filesystem )

Okay, that lead me to consider TRIM for my SSD... everything I need is
covered just fine, but the following blog post might be useful to some:

http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-properly-activate-trim-for-your-ssd-on-linux-fstrim-lvm-and-dmcrypt/

On my Linux Mint 18.3 laptop, I already had discard in /etc/crypttab (I
never put it there).

It was also already enabled in my /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file as well, (again
I didn't put it there).

And a very simple weekly job (compliments of Mint team I guess) also
takes care of fstrim for all file-systems that support it as follows:

# cat /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim
#!/bin/sh
# trim all mounted file systems which support it
/sbin/fstrim --all || true

Cheers
AndrewM