Didier Kryn wrote on 14.02.2018 15:54:
> Le 14/02/2018 à 15:32, Irrwahn a écrit :
>> Removing consolekit isn't mandatory, but yes, in doing so one causes
>> same breakage just as you described.
>
>      Sure it is possible to have both Consolekit and Elogind, but can
> they be both active?
>
>              Didier

Yes.

Oh, how I would know, you might ask.  Well, for a start, I'm typing this
message on a desktop machine where it's the case.  :)

As I wrote in the OP: Which one gets the cookie, so to speak, is decided
by the choice of polkit backend. Currently elogind here, but I could just
as well swap it out for the consolekit backend library, should I decide to
start my lightdm/Xfce desktop that way.

Just go ahead, have your session management of the day! ;-P

And kudos to the fine chaps that made it possible!

Urban

--
Sapere aude!