I see, thanks for clarifying that further.

As far as I've got with the quest for free hardware is ARM Cotex A7 (not
affected by spectre) on the allwinner boards with the Mali GPU, which seems
like an OK solution if 3d acceleration won't be used or the mali free driver
project works out.

I'll take a look a the T2 and see if that's viable for me on the desktop,
thanks for the info.