BTW, The goal of OpenResolverProject was to have an inventory so folks could
measure against attacks and determine what % of attacks utilized them.

The list is available in weekly format to security teams to download in bulk so
they can use tools like GrepCidr to perform this cross-reference.

The unexpected results of the data were knowing that ~46% are just a broken CPE
device that does something weird with DNS packets.

BCP-38 isn't going to resolve the DDoS threat, but does close some of the
attack surface.

A number of folks are doing derivative research with the data as well.  You can
use the broken CPE devices to measure BCP-38 compliance, and I've been working
with at least two different university research teams to help them understand
the data.

I'd love for more people to dive into it, and any help I can provide in
collecting better data (some folks want the UDP reply TTLs captured for
example) I'm interested to know about.  I've also thought about doing an actual
TCP/53 scan as well and send the query over TCP to measure how many reply
there.  (I have some TC=1 responses in my weekly scan results).

The name and shame side-effect is helpful to drive interest, as well as
presentations at various meetings.

Personally, I see some of the larger threats being the lack of rigorous CPE
testing, the fact that many want to be your DNS proxy, and "unmanaged" VPS/VM
solutions that exist out there.

- Jared