On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 04:27:06AM +0000, Lican Huang wrote:
> When Ipv4 addresses will be Exhausted in the near future and the next
> generation Intenert( Ipv6) will take over,  DNS names will also be exhausted
> soon with the increase of  hosts and users.     Lenny Foner  has pointed
> other disadvantage in the today's DNS.
>   Please see the section of "What's broken?" in the article of Lenny Foner in
>   http://www.cfp2000.org/workshop/materials/projects-dns.html.

        Full IPv4 utilization and increasing use of IPv6 is completely
        orthonginal to DNS label exaustion.  Some have argued that all
        the "good" names are taken; e.g. the DNS is exausted.  This was
        first proposed in 1996 (to my memory) yet more than a decade later,
        we see that the domain name system is robust and growing.
        With the inherent hierarchical structure of the DNS lable, the
        mathmatical upper bound is pretty high and we are no where near
        DNS name exaustion.  If you have actual data indicating otherwise,
        I'd love to see the studies.

>   Domain Names in DNS must have some human-understanding meaning it,
> otherwise, we can just use IP addresses or numerials for the names.  In other
> words, if we use     human-not-understanding  Names in DNS, the DNS system
> can be throwed away.
>
>   The draft namespace is different with the today's DNS namespace. But,  due
> to the exhaustion of Names in DNS in the near future, The DNS will add new
> domains.
>   Why adding new domain names with semantic meaning in the future?

        DNS names do not -HAVE- to have human understandable components.
        In many cases, this is highly desired -BUT- is not required for
        use.  And yes, numeric literals have been used in the past.
        Use of the IP address instead of the name is one of the failures
        of application design.  The IP address indicates WHERE a node is
        in the Internet topology, not the identity of the node.  The
        Name is the indicator of the node IDENTITY.  the DNS maps names to
        addresses and makes no assurance as to the human friendliness of the
        name or the reachability of the address.  Your assertion that the
        "DNS system can be thowed away" is vacuously true.  If you find it
        non-useful, there is no requirement for you to use it.  Many people
        use the DNS to get a lable, memorable or not, and then use other
        tools to map that lable into something meaningful... e.g. SEARCH.
        It does not invalidate the use of the DNS in any way.

>   This draft can be used for search the locatons of the resources if the DNS
> using classified hierarchical  Domain Names.

        I think I prefer SEARCH to be outside the DNS (having actually
        built a varient of the DNS which supported regular expression
        expansion of the "?" and "*" characters...)

        Your milage will vary.

--bill