W.C.A. Wijngaards (wouter) writes:

> Yes I wrote the code and say so.  (Not sure how that is better than
> reading the source).  Results, anecdotally, are very modest.  It does
> remove latency spikes for popular names.

        What does the latency spike translate to in terms of extra traffic
        (clients) ? A thundering herd effect ? Congestion ? Considering
        how many tricks modern browsers have up their sleeves (including
        prefetching data linked on a page), I'm wondering how the two
        interact. I've always mentioned the expiring RR prefetch option
        to be a cool feature of Unbound, but in reality, what does it mean
        for users ?

> Aside, I agree that prefetching before the TTL expires is overly
> aggressive.

        If it mitigates other issues...

> But lengthening the TTL is worse (for DNSSEC rollovers
> TTLs MUST expire, or the signatures become bogus).

        :)

        P.