On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:

> i suggest an efficiency improvement: don't manufacture these PTR's in the
> first place. let last-mile devices be PTR-free. signal to anti-spam folks,
> such as myself, by this method, that these are not real "hosts" and should
> not be participating in what were once considered end-to-end protocols,
> such as off-network SMTP.

> --
> Paul Vixie

I recall running into applications that refused to accept connections (or
took a very long time) if the reverse DNS lookup was not found.  If memory
serves, telnet and ssh on some hosts.  Do we know if there are still
applications like that?   If so, then we (home users) need the reverse PTR.

--
Bob Harold
(Speaking personally, not for my employer)