> Paul <mailto:p...@nohats.ca>
> Friday, October 31, 2014 6:50 AM
> Not sure why Paul Vixie wants to relegate my IPv6 address to third
> class citizen that's not good enough to be a peer on the Internet for
> port 25.

your question is a nonsequitur. i have no such desire.

> I'd ask him, but his mail server refuses my email due to my ISPs lack
> of reverse IPv6 :p

if you have a business grade connection to the internet, you should be
able to establish a PTR for each real host.

if you have a consumer grade connection, and your ISP is manufacturing
PTR's at large scale, then your ISP's pattern for such manufacture is
likely to be listed at <http://www.enemieslist.com/> along with all the
other manufactured PTR patterns, and as such, my mailer would have
rejected your e-mail by the extra step of ignoring your manufactured PTR.

in other words i didn't relegate your address to third party status.
that bed was on fire when you laid down on it.

> I'm all for anti-spam heuristics, but checking the reverse is simply a
> method that's causing too many false positives, on top of punishing
> "early" adopters of IPv6

and yet, every proposal i've seen concerning IPv6 PTR screams silently,
"PTR is an old-internet concept which no longer applies." it's as if we
were trying to placate a bunch of apps that didn't understand classless
inter-domain routing (CIDR) with its variable length prefixes, and
rather than fix the apps, we're synthesizing acceptable metadata for
them, at great complexity cost, and zero information benefit.

--
Paul Vixie