On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM, 神明達哉 <jin...@wide.ad.jp> wrote:

> At Mon, 13 Jul 2015 22:01:29 -0400,
> Shumon Huque <shu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Regarding Section 5 (possible side effect on root servers), I wonder
> > > about the implication of qname-minimization (which I expect will be
> > > deployed much sooner than this proposal).  A resolver that supports
> > > qname-minimization would first send a query to "local." to the root
> > > server upon receiving a "foo.local" query, and cache the result of
> > > NXDOMAIN for "local.".  It will suppress subsequent external queries
> > > for any subdomain of it.
> >
> > Yes, this will certainly be a very beneficial result of qname
> minimization.
>
> And the same remark should apply here, too.  We'd need "Stopping
> Downward Cache Search on NXDOMAIN" in addition to qname minimization
> for this to work.

I think we can distinguish the negative caching algorithm and the iterative
resolution algorithm.

The current iterative resolution algorithm already interprets NXDOMAIN
literally (unlike negative caching), so I don't think we need to explicitly
say this for the qname minimization variant of iterative resolution either.
However, I suppose there's no harm in adding explicit text around this
point.

Shumon Huque