On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Evan Hunt wrote:

But, because there are always going to be legacy servers, the client would
then need to send an ANAME query, and when it got no answer, send another
query for A and AAAA.

If clients were willing to do that, then they'd have been willing to use
SRV, and we'd have standardized on that long since.  Which would've been
fine, but browser vendors have had years to do it, and they never have.

If that is your use case, I also see no point in ANAME being used by
resolvers, and you should just create the new XFR type for this, so that
AUTH servers can update their A/AAAA records without needing any
recursive DNS protocol changes. Because what you seem to want is a
method for updating some information between two AUTH servers.

Apparently, what they want is to send address queries and get redirected
answers. And if we can't make them do the smart thing, at least we can
give them an interoperable and standards-compliant way to do the dumb
thing.

Maybe if A and SRV could be returned in the same query they would, so
that leads back to generic support for multi-type queries (with I guess
_location support) being a better generic solution to the problem
compared to this ANAME draft that builds a validating recursive resolver
into any authoritative server.

Paul