On 7 Mar 2021, at 15:23, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> Note that the count presented has other issues too. For example,
> the first pseudo random domain I picked to look further from the top
> of the file:
>
> info.txt.gz:ns1.breeat.info.  86400   in      rrsig   a       7       3
> 86400   20201123152255  20201102142255  27464   info.
> cDhuFyGRJqi2uJnAuYMuHguwvHQx498oIQawSOXNBMxewSnudEeeElsgXXw3vuN1t+tOX2v9Y+WMdB5Wh3I1gkon3xxC6ZX2njDq5wcqDNFIm/pGpZkM2Bwv/7uzU9Hx8r+Lmn3lNgyhEKFc0f/H8ESveGw93jK/bkoQnjQf5qI=
> info.txt.gz:ns1.breeat.info.  86400   in      rrsig   a       8       3
> 86400   20201123152255  20201102142255  44286   info.
> Kx2nR9MxG2NDbO8pYGlwET5JFjvIJnYMswvptkU/oqj2a5bb4i1qU9cBQg6P5zZ7ekstxCJjV08HyUkh30b9Sn/sCJovVA+OEoOEef4r+yij2XQN93kvli19fqNDfNPEnO8fQqZ3ifcvFvs8S1EEJKlcPVSsnlSVnFPPRVlye/U=
> info.txt.gz:ns2.breeat.info.  86400   in      rrsig   a       7       3
> 86400   20201123152255  20201102142255  27464   info.
> mVxcu2heoUVOuahh9GODtZBMomdYZ1MsiJ41nYAgf0SCUy8oD9qJ/7yCFZg7WOyiGNUHEtuyBBAyj6DxKbSURDOhZ3Auarha298bo2z4n8Q4HIBMjFWE4imQ9K9ZayB8j2uG8i7V8l7asnbGKvM1b4C7fnB43pY7L9pt8xcAIZc=
> info.txt.gz:ns2.breeat.info.  86400   in      rrsig   a       8       3
> 86400   20201123152255  20201102142255  44286   info.
>
> These are 4 RRSIG for 2 name servers with an A record for which the
> domain no longer exists.

Just a point of clarification -- the domain does exist; it's just suppressed
from publication in the DNS.

jabley@manta ~ % whois -h whois.afilias.net breeat.info | fgrep Status
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: serverHold https://icann.org/epp#serverHold
Domain Status: autoRenewPeriod https://icann.org/epp#autoRenewPeriod
jabley@manta ~ %

When it comes to TLD zones, it's necessary to consider the registry data as
well as the DNS if you want to be sure you are seeing the whole picture.

>  Note that ns1 and ns2 point to the same single
> IP address. I don't know how many other zones use these two nameservers,
> but a quick check shows that there are no DNS server running on that IP
> address anyway.
>
> The TLD might as well just remove the glue. It is just garbage. It only
> causes users longer timeouts into the inevitable failure of reaching those
> nameservers. That is, actually not having these records is an _advantage_
> over having them.

gTLD operators can't just remove things that in its opinion are not working or
not necessary. The things they can and can't do are constrained by contract. I
appreciate that there are many registries that are not run by contracted
parties, of course.

In general, it's difficult to know for sure what the impact of removing a
linked glue record is. A nameserver that doesn't respond today might be fixed
tomorrow, or might never be fixed for particular clients due to some other
local policy. There may well be extraneous orphan glue records (in the DNS
sense) in the ORG zone that could safely be removed, but it's difficult to know
for sure unless you have certain knowledge about the names concerned and the
intensions of the organisations involved in them. There are definitely orphan
glue records (same sense) whose removal would cause operational problems for
other domains.

[...]

> Regardless, as explains before. The problem is not hard to solve by
> moving the signed glue into its own delegated special zone, which would
> have the benefit of _clearly_ indicating to anyone who sees these NS
> records that the domain is about to fall over. It is an improvement to
> do this even if you don't do it to prepare for being a delegation_only
> zone.
>
> Based on this and the recent .org glue cleanup, I think there might even
> be a good reason to write up a new draft about promoting-stale-glue-is-bad.

You should feel very free to write up whatever you want :-) but as I have
mentioned a few times, so long as there are reasons to suppress publication of
zone cuts for particular domains, e.g. for reasons of abuse management, and so
long as it's possible to link subordinate host objects to other domain objects
that *are* published, and so long as the data model specified in EPP remains as
it is, the number of promoted glue records in zones like ORG are not going to
reach zero and suppressing orphan glue (orphan in the DNS sense, not the
registry sense) definitely has the potential to break things.

I don't think you make something a problem by calling it one. These things are
only problems because you have a use-case for zones like these being delegation
only, and the reality of how these zones are constructed doesn't fit nicely
with that. I also don't think you can solve a problem by declaring the solution
to be simple on the grounds that you've ignored all the things that would
otherwise make the solution complicated :-)

Joe